So Flickbox has very kindly nominated us for a Liebster Award. For those not in the know, this is an award that’s promoted and shared across blogs to help people to discover more blogs they might enjoy.
Here are the rules:
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you
- Answer the 11 questions that the blogger gives you
- Nominate 11 bloggers of your own choosing (or however many you want!)
- Give them 11 questions
- Let the bloggers know you nominated them
FlickBox‘s questions are:
1. What is the craziest experience you had in the movies ?
Rob: I used to work in a cinema just after graduating from university. On my first night shift we had to call the police on a drunk man who was kicking off in the foyer. I’ve also seen human excrement scraped up the side of a cubicle wall and soiled underpants stuffed in an overflowing toilet.
Matt: I’ve also worked in a cinema and cleaning up sick that had oozed down the gap between two seats was pretty horrendous. That and constantly being asked if we also do mortgages… and pretending to laugh.
Hatty: I’ve not had many crazy experiences in cinemas. Watching the Revenant the guy sat next to me was pissing himself through all of the most gruesome bits, which was a little unsettling.
2. What is the movie that you hate the most ( that you want to see burn ) ?
Rob: Love Actually. It’s just the worst.
Matt: Love Actually. Richard Curtis has never been lower! What a load of overly sentimental crap; it isn’t romantic to go and tell your best mates new wife that you love her while he’s in the next room or to let your dead wife’s son chase a girl he’s never met through the airport. Someone should taser that kid.
Hatty: Gladiator maybe? Hate all that macho macho stuff. Or Music and Lyrics – it’s supposed to be about great songwriting and they just write a bloody terrible boring and derivative piece of crap. (Begin Again gets it right)
3. What is the movie that you love the most ( that you want to keep in a coffin ) ?
Rob: The Fellowship of the Ring. It’s just perfect.
Matt: The Fellowship of the Ring
Hatty: This is tough – maybe The Royal Tenenbaums or The Grand Budapest Hotel or Inside Llewyn Davis.
4. If you could turn a book into a movie, which one would you choose ?
Rob: When I read Ready Player One I thought it would make an awesome film. And now Spielberg is on board to direct the adaptation which is due out in 2018. Very excited for that. I’d also like to see some graphic novel adaptations. The Batman graphic novel, The Long Halloween would be one I’d love to see.
Matt: Eragon and the Inheritance series. Let’s forget that they already did this and it was absolutely terrible.
Hatty: 1Q84. I’ve only seen one Murakami adaptation so far (Norwegian Wood) and it didn’t really work – the story was too internal – but I think the story of 1Q84 would translate brilliantly. Or if they did His Dark Materials properly that would be great.
5. Can you remember the name of the first movie you saw that made you cry ?
Rob: I don’t cry. The end of The Return of the King, though.
Matt: I don’t cry.
Hatty: I cry at most films/tv shows/songs/books/adverts. Most notably I watched Schindler’s List at uni and was weeping so hard I could barely speak and I think I freaked out my housemates a bit. I was trying to explain what had got to me was Schindler’s guilt and remorse at the end when he’s crying and saying that had he sold his car or his watch he could have saved several more people – just thinking about that scene and I’m almost welling up again.
6. What is your favourite superhero of all time ? And villain ?
Rob: The Batman and the Joker are a perfect yin and yang. An unstoppable force and an immoveable object.
Matt: Batman and The Joker.
Hatty: Captain America and Tony Stark. Moral compass vs self interested billionaire weapons manufacturer. #teamcap
7. If you could have any super power which would it be ?
Rob: The ability to make people see reason. I’d love to be able show people like anti-vaxxers, creationists and people who believe in pseudo-medicine like homeopathy why they’re complete morons.
Matt: The ability to stop idiots posting their opinions on the internet.
Hatty: I’d like the reason thing too – I’d try and talk some sense into anyone voting Trump. And the ability to speak and understand all languages would be awesome.
8. If they made a movie about your life, what kind of movie would it be ? And which actor or actress would play you in that movie ?
Rob: I’m doing a PhD at the moment so maybe something along the lines of The Theory of Everything but much less impressive and certainly less interesting. Can’t imagine there’s too many actors vying for that job so I’d imaging I’d be someone who’s desperate for a job and who’ll do anything for the money. Ben Affleck might be keen to get away from the big blockbuster scene at the moment.
Matt: A genre mash up! (Fantasy, action, thriller) And Ryan Gosling obviously.
Hatty: Wes Anderson/Coen Brothers and probably Zooey Deschanel/some other manic pixie dream girl trope playing a ukulele.
9. Have you ever fallen asleep in the middle of a film ? Why ?
Rob: I never fall asleep in the cinema. But at home, I fall asleep during a lot in films. That’s usually because I’m sleepy.
Matt: Probably, but I can’t remember what the film was because I was asleep.
Hatty: At uni we did a Godfather marathon and I slept through most of number three.
10. Would you be willing to be on a TV show in only your underwear just to make you famous ?
Rob: Are you going to pay us to do this? I honestly can’t imagine anything worse than being famous.
Matt: This seems a bit strange, are you propositioning us? But no I wouldn’t!
Hatty: Probably not. No one wants to see that.
11.Which famous person would you like to have as your best friend?
Rob: Ben Affleck. I think he needs some moral support after BvS. He might let me help out with his solo Batman film.
Matt: Maggie Smith. She’s sassy.
Hatty: Ming-Na Wen. Feminist icon.
Our nominees are:
- The Jazz Breakfast
- Savoy Truffle
- I Saw a Movie
- JumpCut UK
- Lights Overhead
- Check Me Out Bro!
Apologies if you don’t want to do this, feel free to just ignore it, we won’t take it personally. It is a bit chain mail-y and we can see why it might be annoying. But if we’ve nominated you, it’s because we genuinely like your stuff. I’m not just picking ones at random here. So you can take solace in that. Also, sorry if you’ve done this already.
Here are our questions:
As we’re a film blog, most of our questions are film related so we apologise if you passionately hate films. And we apologise for the stupid questions.
1. Why did you start blogging? Tell us about your blog
2. Do you like films? If not, you can skip to the end.
3. Tell us your top 5 films
4. What was the last film you saw? Any good?
5. What’s the best Stan Lee cameo?
6. What’s in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?
7. What does Bill Murray whisper to Scar-Jo at the end of Lost in Translation?
8. What’s your favourite film soundtrack?
9. What’s the worst thing about going to the cinema?
10. What’s your snack/beverage of choice when watching a film?
11. If we came round for tea, what would you make for us and why? What film would you put on?